Saturday, July 9, 2011

JP Morgen circa 1995

I always enjoyed JP Morgen's work - it was so unique and outside the box. JP built and raced these bikes out of San Francisco and still works there currently making parts for motorcycles. I was stoked to find this one and the timing was perfect as I had a friend in Marin that grabbed it for me (but I did have to put up with some ridicule from him and others, for my wanting this contraption). Ha.

This machine's definitely got some cool features but I especially like the stamped-out, steel fork. I know JP Morgen could really ride a bike fast, but for me this is the ultimate bike for leisurely cruises through the mountains - the rougher the better. Maybe I need to ride it more to learn how to ride it hard. It definitely has some unique characteristics.

It seems to work best seated, and it just gobbles up the terrain. With the combined two rear shocks it's probably got 7-8" of travel at the seat. It doesn't really feel like all that travel is there though until you hit a big bump and wonder where it went. It's a fun bike for the quiver and certainly gets attention.

Frame: JP Morgen ca. 1995
Serial Number: none
Fork: JP Morgen w/suspended stem
Weight: 28.1lbs
Headset: Chris King
Stem: JP Morgen
Bars: Cook Brothers Titanium
Grips: WTB Trail Grips
Shifters: Shimano XTR M900
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M900
Brakes: Marinovative Cheap Trick
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Crankset: Ritchey Logic
Bottom Bracket: Shimano M900 XTR
Hubset: WTB New Paradigm front (Gravy Built) with Bontrager Race Lite rear
Rims: WTB SpeedMaster front and Bontrager Asym rear
Tires: Tioga Psycho front and Schwalbe rear
Pedals: Shimano M747
Seatpost: USE
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite (Perforated)

Photobucket

Photobucket





Stamped-out steel fork:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments: